This change reflects how attitudes towards office space have both gradually and radically changed over the years. Previously, office space was seen as a home where employees could work, but today employee well-being, satisfaction and creativity have become real goals for employers, interior designers and architects to consider when designing an office.
While it is clear that the design of offices has changed, we need to examine the landscape in more detail and meet the expectations of the workers of tomorrow. Generation Z is lead the charge regarding returning to the office, and our own research at Kitt revealed that a quarter of them now wanted a more ‘instagrammable’ office. In a world where every meal is uploaded to an Instagram story, it’s no surprise that having something they can be proud to show off to their friends has transcended social settings and is now true to the workplace as well.
instagram has already infiltrated many other industries such as hospitality, where cafe and restaurant owners want to invest more and more in creating an ambience that shows a desirable aesthetic when photographed. It was almost inevitable that the office design industry would soon follow suit.
As a result, we’re seeing more and more companies revamp their office space to reflect current social media trends in an effort to attract and retain their Gen Z talent.
Here are some easy-to-implement tips to make your office space look amazing on Instagram – and attract and retain the talent of the future.
Consider your lighting
- Make sure you have flattering lighting – whether it’s a selfie or a video call with clients, good lighting is always a bonus.
- Light Temperature: Try light temperatures of 4000K instead of 8000K. 8000K light is similar to daylight, and while it may be cooler, brighter, and whiter, it will give a space a clinical feel. A lower light temperature is warmer, makes the space more inviting and flattering.
- The stunning pendant lights are not just for home use, they can also bring a fashionable look that sparks creativity to your office space. Available in a range of styles and finishes, pendant lights can set the tone for your space, offering a contemporary or retro look depending on the rest of your office design, making your team feel at home.
Bring color to the office
- Choose wall colors that complement your brand and provide continuity throughout the office. When posted on social media, viewers will make an unconscious connection to your brand through these colors, making it more memorable and a place they want to work for themselves.
- There’s no doubt that color influences our mood and behavior in such an instinctive way that we don’t usually know it. Therefore, you should not choose color combinations with red tones for work and conference spaces, but reserve them for breakout spaces and other areas where employees will not spend much time.
- Take inspiration from hotel design, because that’s where Gen Z spends most of their weekend time. If you want to take it a step further, you should consider opting for bold designs with lighted bathroom mirrors (great for selfies!) and a feature wall like a flower wall in the bathrooms.
- Productivity can be hampered if your workspace is cluttered. Proper storage for belongings and stationery will help you avoid this – after all, a tidy space is a tidy mind, and it will look better in photos.
- Having a continuous design theme throughout the desktop will make it look neater. Consider investing in desk organizers, laptops, accessories, storage, etc. matched for a cohesive design. Having additional desk accessories such as a shelf, ornaments, and social media walls that are simply there for display purposes will help elevate your space to the next level.
- Real plants improve air quality, mental well-being and instantly brighten up a photo. Choose a mix of larger and smaller plants with pots that complement the office decor for maximum effect.
- Plants can be expensive! That’s why there are many companies where you can rent plants for your office. This also comes with a watering and maintenance service, which can be very convenient for your busy teams!
Create a reception area
- Create a branded welcome space with a wow effect to give visitors a chance to share a first impression of your brand and create a lasting impression. A brightly colored neon sign or logo is sure to make your eyes widen.
Designing your office in a contemporary, Instagram-influenced style will not only help attract and retain Gen Z talent (and the entire workforce), but is also proven to boost productivity and employee well-being. When catering for Gen Z you need to be aware of your entire workforce who may be looking for something different from office space, so before investing in drastic changes you need to weigh the image. brand you want to represent and will have the impact and creation you want. a suitable and desirable space for all.
Stefanie Sebald is head of design at office management platform Kitt.